![]() |
| Merritt Melancon is concerned about the tension between journalists and public relations professionals. |
“PR people have so much more time to work on stuff,” said Melancon during an interview with UGA journalism and PR students on Monday.
Journalists need a call back in one to two days, but PR professionals do not sense the urgency, according to Melancon. This miscommunication causes disconnect between the two professions, she said.
Melancon said she has enjoyed working in the Office of Information Technology’s structured environment, as her reporting career was very self-directed.
“You’re not as much of your own boss as you thought you were,” said Melancon of the transition from reporting to PR.
The team environment and feedback from department heads has been an easy transition from the newsroom at the Athens Banner-Herald, where Melancon worked from 2005 to 2012.
“Something you learn as you grow up is maybe I’m not as cool as I thought I was,” said Melancon with a laugh as she reflected on her transition to PR from journalism.

No comments:
Post a Comment